The new IOGA Student Committee is discussing a possible September field day focused on university students. Committee members would like your feedback via comments to this post, or email to email@example.com.
Proposed title: “Getting started: Small farm equipment and institutional buying/sourcing” (Those seem to be top questions for new farmers and for the student farm)
Target audience: students interested in sustainable / organic agriculture, as well as beginning farmers
Proposed time: Second or third week of September
Proposed location: University of Illinois (We hope that students from SIU, WIU, and other state universities will travel to Champaign-Urbana, and that IOGA can sponsor future events at other campuses.)
- Morning program
- Review past present realities of the student farm, capital and marketing
- Showcase some sustainable technologies that are suitable for small farms including electric tractor, solar water pumps, small scale greasel
- Review contribitions to Campus Climate Action PLan
- Afternoon program
- Late lunch (move to campus or have a tent?) with lunch speaker Chef Bill Connor and others from SIU campus to discuss sourcing
- Panel of Central Illinois Farm Beginings graduates to discuss capitalization and marketing considerations that would influence whether or how they would interface with an institutional buyer.